Key points for Put This on Your Radar – Meiji Gekken 1874:
- Meiji Gekken 1874, produced by Crunchyroll and set to release on January 14th, 2024, is an original anime by Tsumugi Animation Lab. It’s directed by Jin Tamamura and written by Tsukasa Sakurai and Naoki Tozuka.
- The anime is set in the early Meiji period, just 7 years in, featuring a historical backdrop with Western influences and industrialization in Japan. The story follows Shizuma Orikasa as he seeks to overthrow the government, promising an intriguing blend of history and fantasy.
- I am excited about Meiji Gekken 1874, because of the historical setting and potential fantasy elements as compelling factors. Emphasizes the general interest in original anime and the anticipation for the upcoming season.
I have a soft spot for original anime as they always turn out to be interesting. This is mostly because you have no way of knowing what kind of story you are in for as there is no source material. Now, yes, most original anime do fall into the “middle of the ground” category, but I still do think that most original anime are fun and worth checking out. Another thing I like is anime set in the early Meiji period as it is just around the time when Western things and industrialization were just starting to take over in Japan. Meiji Gekken 1874 combines both of those things.
So I think it is pretty obvious why this anime caught my eye. So welcome back to another edition of Put This on Your Radar. The series where we take a look at anime that caught my eye. And this time, we are talking about Meiji Gekken 1874! Let’s get started!
What do we know about Meiji Gekken 1874?
The anime will be made by Tsumugi Animation Lab. It is an original anime and it will be written by Tsukasa Sakurai and Naoki Tozuka. The anime will be coming out fairly soon. In fact, it is coming next season in Winter 2024. And we have a confirmed release date of January 14th. The anime is produced by Crunchyroll and it will be directed by Jin Tamamura. The main cast of the anime is as follows:
- Shizuma Orikasa: Yuuichi Nakamura
- Shurashin Kyoushirou: Satoshi Mikami
- Sumie Kanomata/Hinatsuru: Tomoyo Kurosawa
- Senri Kuroki: Lynn
- Takehiro Hiramatsu: Kazuhiro Yamaji
- Ryuuzou Moriya: Katsuhisa Houki
We also got a key visual and a PV for the anime. You can check out the PV here. The anime takes place very early in the Meiji era, just 7 years in. It is about a guy called Shizuma as he pursues a plot to overthrow the government.
But yeah, that covers all the news for now. So let’s move on to
As I said, I am very interested in this anime as it takes place during a very interesting time in Japanese history. It also looks to have some fantasy twists thrown in for good measure. So if done well, it could be a really interesting watch. But as I said, original anime are generally worth checking out as even if they are mediocre, they do have some redeeming qualities. So yeah, I am fairly excited about this anime.
The next season will mostly be carried by a handful of big releases so having more stuff to look forward to always helps.
That is all for now!
Let me know what you guys think in the comments. I think Meiji Gekken 1874 has the potential to be something really fun but only time will tell how good it turns out to be. With that said, I will take my leave here. See ya!
Also, check out some Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 4 news here!